Day of departure

Airplane departing from Frankfurt Airport
Photo: Lasse Fuss

Today is Wednesday, September 17, and the last day that I will spend in Germany for quite some time! With four weeks of delay today my South African adventure can finally start. Together with three other volunteers I will take the plane in Hamburg this evening and hopefully debark in Johannesburg tomorrow morning after twelve hours of flight. Having arrived in "Joburg" we are going to have our on-arrival camp and then it's time to go into our projects. Stella, my project partner, and I even have the advantage that we don't have to travel on because we directly stay in Johannesburg. But instead of making any more assumptions I will report on this as soon as I'm in South Africa.

Now, I want to thank everyone for the nice farewell presents and letters. I put everything that fitted into my luggage so that I won't forget anyone or anything! With my luggage quantity of 23 kilo plus cabin baggage I got along even better than I expected. My bags are quite full, but I didn't have to leave anything important here and the weight shouldn't be a problem either. 

So now it's time to say goodbye...
Even though I stayed in Germany longer than expected the last months passed much quicker than I first thought. Of course I'm happy to leave today but I think that there also is a lot that I am going to miss - but probably it is only when I don't have all of these things anymore that I will notice, because now I can't even really believe that I'll be in South Africa in less then 24 hours. As from tomorrow I eventually won't have to enviously scroll through my facebook news anymore and see all these exciting pictures of the others that already left last month. Starting from tomorrow I will make all those experiences on my own and of course: keep you informed as good as I can.

Take care and see you all next year! If this year will pass as fast as the last months - and I'm sure about that - it won't be too long until we see again.

You will here from me soon and life from South Africa!

Frederike

No comments:

Post a Comment